How do I Find a Good Teacher?
What exactly are the qualities that make a good teacher? What are the skills, talents, and characteristics, and can they be taught or learned?
I have spent a lot of time thinking about—and done a lot of research into—the question of what characteristics make a teacher effective and how I can succeed in the classroom.
Although every great teacher has their own special, unique style, I have found that there are specific universal qualities that are necessary for anyone who wants to teach effectively, whether they want to teach in an elementary school or a university.
- expert communication skills
- superior listening skills
- deep knowledge and passion for their subject matter
- the ability to build caring relationships with students
- friendliness and approachability
- excellent preparation and organization skills
- strong work ethic
- community-building skills
- high expectations for all
Although great teachers may also possess a number of other wonderful qualities like a sense of humor, personality, flexibility, kindness, leadership, classroom management, a calm demeanor, experience, and the ability to multitask, but these are the qualities the best teachers universally possess.